Sunday, March 20, 2011

Homemade Tortillas and Tostadas!

I told you the next blog would be about food!

Below are some homemade tortillas and tostadas I made recently.  I also made a pork and potato red chile, but the picture didn't come out too well so it won't be posted. 

Tortillas that actually came out ROUND for me!! 


I don't really have a recipe, but I put about 2 cups of flour in a bowl, then add some salt, baking powder, oil and hot water.  You mix the ingredients together until you get a dough consistency (or I call it masa).  I usually just use the palm of my hand to add the other ingredients to the flour and a measuring cup with hot water to slowly pour over the flour mix.  Then, you create small balls out of the dough and roll them out.  Then use a flat pan on medium-high heat to cook them.  I'm not great at it, but with practice I'm getting better!


To make the tostadas pictured above, I fry the tortillas to make the tostada shell.  Then, I top with mashed pinto beans (seasoned with salt and garlic salt).  You can use the canned beans or you can make them using a crock pot or pressure cooker.  Then, I topped with cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato!  

Lastly, I also made Spanish rice (pictured below).  To do this, I used brown rice.  I slightly browned the rice in a tiny bit of oil.  Then I added some chopped up green onions (the only kind I use for cooking) and celery.  Once all of those were kind of browned with the oil, I added pureed tomatoes and some water.  Then, you just cook like normal rice until it gets soft.  Mine didn't come out as soft as I wanted, but still tasted good!  

Happy eating!!

1 comment:

  1. You are makin me hungry. You need to start a little cook book. I'll buy it! I love your cooking skills!

    ReplyDelete