Thursday, January 20, 2011

Homemade Tacos!!

Menu tonight?  Homemade tacos - one of my favorite meals.  I don't actually follow recipes, but I'll try to detail how I made them.

Since this was a meal for one, the quantities aren't large so when making for a larger group of people, you'd want to at least double everything.


First, I boiled a medium size potato.  While I waited for the that to boil, I played
scrabble online.

When the potato was done I emptied the pot and reused it to fry 1/2lb of ground beef.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Once the beef is cooked, use a paring knife to peel your potato and cut thin slices into your pot of meat.



Mix the potatoes with the hamburger, mashing it a bit so it all sticks together well.  Add a little season salt and mix.  Set aside on a back burner set on low.

Next, I made flour tortillas (yummy).  I get a mixing bowl and fill it with a cup of flour.  I also add a little salt and baking powder (not too much, maybe a teaspoon or so).  Then, place a small amount of canola or vegetable oil in your palm and mix into the flour.  Pour a little hot water over your mixture and begin kneading.  Add small amounts of water as needed to make the tortilla dough.

Roll your tortillas with a cookie dough roller and begin cooking in a medium-high heat flat or shallow pan (you can also use a flat cast iron griddle).

Once the tortillas are done, you heat some oil in a shallow pan and fold the tortilla in half before frying.

Fill the shell with your meat & potato mixture, top with cheddar cheese, salsa and lettuce & tomato, and enjoy!

You can also make your own salsa!

What I do:

Mince 2 green onions, small clove of garlic, 1/4 to 1/2 large jalapeno, and one small tomato.  Pan fry them with a small amount of oil, adding crushed red pepper to the mix.   Add a small can of tomato sauce and some salt.  Let simmer, stirring occasionally.   Turn heat down to low and cover until ready to use.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment