Thursday, January 20, 2011

No More Complaining

Before my head hit the pillow last night, I was yawning so much that tears were streaming down my face.  All I could think about was how grateful I am to have a soft pillow and warm bed to rest on at the end of each day.  And as I laid there in that drugged-like state between fully conscious and dead to the world, I began to think about how much I have to be thankful for. 

So often, we take the basic necessities and comforts of life for granted.  It's really all a matter of perspective and how we CHOOSE to see our life, our circumstances, our place in the world.  In a recent conversation someone said to me, "Sometimes we spend our time complaining that we don't have new shoes until we see someone that doesn't have feet." 

Those words resonated with me because it shifted my thinking.  It made me see that so much of what I complain about is trivial.  When it's cold outside, I shouldn't complain; I should be thankful for the warm clothes, blankets, roof over my head and job to keep the heat paid. 

So with that in mind, I've been trying to keep my thoughts more positive.  I started this blog partly because I needed an outlet, but also because I didn't want to keep discouraging myself the way I had been.  I was always telling myself, "I wanna write, but my life is too boring to write about.  I have nothing major going on so what could I have to say?"  Then it occurred to me that I don't need major life events to define my writing.  Who says I need to be pregnant or buying a house or any of that?  I have a lot to say.  I have a lot on my mind and I have things to share.  It doesn't matter how big or small, I can share it.

So here I am - sharing.  And, as I write this, I hear the wind blasting outside my house.  It [the wind] may still stir up every imaginable demon within the depths of my soul; but tonight, I'm inside...sheltered from the wind.  Thankfully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment