Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Lesson in Humility

Life is messy; we all know that.  And, sometimes we get so caught up in that we forget the that we really aren't that important.  We forget one of the great commandments, "love your neighbor as yourself."  We forget that we aren't better than anyone else even though deep down we know that to think otherwise is absolutely foolish!  God has a way of humbling us, though.  Last weekend, I received my lesson in humility. 

See, I have repeated many a diatribe against my neighbor; criticizing her shitty parking habits and judging the lack of sanitation in the yard where her dogs would either be lying or barking incessantly.  And yet, she's never returned the fucked up attitude.  Last Saturday, she stopped me as I was headed to the hospital to see my grandma.  At first I was mildly annoyed because my mind was not up for chit-chat.  It turned out she just wanted to let me know she'd thought she'd heard someone in one of our back yards a few nights before.  She was merely being neighborly.  Then, as she told me she was about to lose her 2nd dog to cancer, my heart was instantly softened.  I had to hold back my tears when I looked at her suddenly skinny dog over the fence looking up at her with such sad eyes. 

I realized that day that God was talking to me...He was showing me that it isn't just His grace and mercy I should be seeking.  I realized that she had shown me grace.  She had never returned the judgment and contempt, which I so often displayed - even if only within the confines of my house. 

She put her dog down yesterday and my heart goes out to her.  I know that pets are family; you love them and get attached to them.  And, ironically, I miss his bark...

Humbly yours,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment