Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Yahoo! Health, Are You Fucking Serious?

Here begins my rant for the day (or rather last night).  It was a typical night in my house - a little TV, a facial experiment gone bad, and a quick email check to see what tempting retail offers had navigated cyberspace to land in my inbox.  When I logged out of email I saw a headline on Yahoo! about new eating disorders.  It intrigued me enough that I read it.  For that I apologize to my IQ - that was punishment. 

The two "new" eating disorders are a) picky eaters and b) overly healthy eaters.  Understand that I realize the perils of eating a select variety of junk food as the so-called picky eaters do.  I also understand the detrimental health effects that could arise if all you eat is organic broccoli.  To me, extremes are dangerous regardless of what end of the spectrum they reside.  But, what I take issue with is the fact that our society feels the need to label everyone with at least one disorder.  The very URL in my blog is my sarcastic self-labeling.  In fact, I've even blogged about my various "disorders."  However, what I term a disorder of personality is really what MAKES my personality and I don't feel the need to medicate myself to fatten the pharmaceutical wallet. 

The article stated that "orthorexics" or the healthy eaters may, "start by eliminating processed foods, anything with artificial colorings or flavorings as well as foods that have come into contact with pesticides.  Beyond that, orthorexics may also shun caffeine, alcohol, sugar, salt, wheat and dairy foods. Some limit themselves to raw foods."  Since when did it become an eating disorder to eliminate things that either shouldn't be in your food in the first place or are bad for you in excess amounts (or possibly hard for your body to digest i.e. dairy)?!  I'm confused by this statement.  I mean, really?  I'm sure the psychiatric and pharmaceutical industries are already on verge of some grand diagnosis and drug to cure these people for wanting to put good things into their bodies...

Amazed at America's growing stupidity,
Me

1 comment: