Thursday, February 3, 2011

Today's Healthy Eats

After having stuffed my face with a 6-piece chicken tender kid's meal AND a cheeseburger from Burger King last night, I thought today it would be best to eat healthy.  I generally try to make healthy choices any way, but today was not just about making healthy choices - it was about redeeming myself for last night.  It was about negating the poor choice I made yesterday by making better choices today. 

This rationale is absurd, and I know it, but it's just how my brain justifies my actions.  And, it occurs not just when it comes to food choices, but pretty much any other choice I make in my life.  For every bad, there must be a good I can do to counteract it's effect, right?

Anyway, on the point of this blog.  I wanted to share my menu today.  Perhaps it will provide ideas for making better choices while still enjoying food.  Too often we think healthy means boring or bland.  Food is one of my greatest pleasures in life so I'd never advocate for restricting yourself in way that robs you of this happiness!  Read on for my meals today. 

Breakfast
  • Giant mug of coffee (is it possible to start your day without this?)
  • Small bag of almonds
  • Some baby carrots
I know this random combination of food doesn't scream breakfast, but who says you have to have oatmeal?  Eat whatever healthy items you enjoy.

Lunch
  • Large salad (no egg or cheese) - half the salad I used raspberry vinaigrette  and the other half I used french.  I couldn't decide between the two, so why not have both?
  • Marinated grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo) - I hesitantly skipped the fries, but it was filling without the guilt of eating those too.  I also didn't finish the entire bun.  Mostly, I only ate the parts of the bun that were toasted and still maintained some crunch.  
  • Serving of fruit - pineapple, cantaloupe and honey dew.
Dinner
After grocery shopping on an empty-stomach (not recommended), I came home and made:

  • Brown rice (with soy sauce)
  • Spinach & onions 

Dessert
This isn't really dessert, but it's sweet and I like it.  It's an amaretto liqueur and orange juice in an 8 oz glass. 

Please drink responsibly and do not drink and drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment